Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Writings of self-seeding, freely....Cheers!

Okay, let's face it, I do think I am fairly creative person. So, with that in mind, I will admit that I don't really think my so called blog is necessarily ever going to be a consistent genre of posts. Without looking up what modern day dictionary definitions might register blogging as, I'm just going to re-baptize mine as a modern day, technologically powered journal of writings that I come up with.

...hmm, makes me wonder how Mark Twain would have functioned in our time of history. Or even more, would he have been Mark Twain, maybe Sam Clemmons would have been enough of a name and no "pen name" would have evolved.

I've been pestering my dad to write a fictional book for years and years and years. You see the man has a brilliant mind, is an expert in his field and when it comes to writing, technically, he does quite well. And he's written and had published 3 or 4 books and many articles in his career, so he's no stranger to writing. But, the guy is a medieval history professor, so all of his writings are technical, and non-fiction about historical figures or happenings. So that kinda means he lacks a little bit in the creativity department in his writings. And so when I pester him about writing of medieval historical figure into a fictional setting, he says he would love to and then tells me I should do it because he lacks the creative background. And then I chide myself that I should take advantage of his knowledge and do it...but I don't. But I will...someday...but someday better come soon or I know I'll regret it.

So to avoid regretting anything that comes into my brain, I need to start writing more. And I know that my mind can pull up a story for almost anything if I let it. When I was little, I figured out that I could write stories, and I did write several. I also acted out stories with my dolls, stuffed animals or barbies. I read stuff...what does that mean, I don't know...I just like to read whatever really. And I kick myself when I think of how many different ideas of come into my mind and I haven't written them down or the same of a word or saying or comment that sparked the start of a path of words to somewhere...anyway, I came up with a couple new stories last week that I plan to move forward with, that I shared with my dad.

He listened. My dad usually listens, but he is an academic, and so at times he can be intimidating in his reactions..his silence. Yes the saying that "silence is deafening" does ring true with him when I am wanting..no craving, some kind of response from him. Heh, to my surprise he responded with, "Katherine, you need to make sure you write these things down and that you carry a booklet around with you always to write down these ideas you come up with". Wham, bam! Hit me like a ton of rocks..well okay maybe a non-crushing type of rock so as to do no physical damage, but anyway it was finally a psychological stroke of acceptance to my little girl ego. My father, whom I have put on an academia pedestal pretty much my whole life, was seemingly giving me approval ...even more so, he was encouraging my thought process.

So here it goes. Here is my rock-garden of whatever catches my attention. A place where these seeds planted deep, being watered, splitting open, starting to grow with their little roots digging down further into the ground and their foliage popping up towards the light and warmth of the sun, will keep growing and developing into something only Katherine could grow.

4 comments:

Lorie said...

Well said Katherine. I look forward to seeing what seeds you are planting and watching them grow.

The Pixton Family said...

Good to see you back in the blogger world and looking forward to reading what you write. Happy New Year!

kate said...

Thank you Lorie and Jen...now I have to figure out how to make my blog look at fancy smancy too!

kate said...

I meant, look ALL fancy, smancy too! oopsy on the proof reading bfr hitting PUBLISH.