Wednesday, November 19, 2008

quaint little shops

So over the last few weeks when i've had the time, i've taken some little excursions to some of the fun boutique type shops in and around the 2 valley's. I wanted to check out what was what as far as holiday ambiance and gifts etc. So the best little unknown place that is a must visit is Broadbent's off downtown Lehi. http://www.broadbentstore.com/ I found them around 6 years ago, & it is a place of treasures. It takes you back to grandma's home. Kupie dolls. Fabrics gallore. So indeed a quilters haven. Madame Alexander dolls. A room of year round Christmas ornaments. Sundance suckers and more. Each season is dressed up at the appropriate time. Christmas is the best. You move from one room to another, to experience a different decorated style. Over the years we've bought almost the complete Bobsey Twins book series there. Mags and I loved that series growing up. Plus there are books and books of pop out paper dolls ...every little girl has got to try out playing with paper dolls.

Okay, then of course, I had to take a trip to the country christmas store and go see what was going on at Scrooge and marleys. again, it's hard to be disappointed when you go there. All the wonderful smells of candles make it warm and cozy. plus it's an old house full of crooks and crannies. I still think the customer service there is the PITS but it's a good store. grandma P. would have loved it. Hooked rugs, knitted rugs, wrought iron this and that. quilts and their old barn full of overstock, out of season and big furniture items.

....i've also checked out Hip and HUmble up on 7th and 9thish for the holiday season. They've combined with a clothing boutique. Fun stuff, but frankly I preferred there old location off of 21st and they're inventory seems more trendy than it used to.

Actually, I think Artichokes and Co. in sugarhouse is closer to what H&H used to be like. I think this was my first visit there, and it was sweet as sugar. the decoration of the store was decked out in white feathers hanging down gingerly from the ceiling. Maybe reminicent of icicles? They have some good girly gifts. Here's their link to see http://www.artichokesandcompany.com/artichokes/

..so many more shops to visit. still need to visit highland garden shop, and............ohh, ooh need to get to Modern Display, always has beautiful Christmas decorations...I did make it over to Modern Display....don't let their disappointing Christmas display on their front yard turn you off. Inside, they do indeed have some amazing Christmas trees that will only put you back a few thousand dollars. And oodles and oodles of ornaments. They also have the ever precious christopher Radko glass ornaments and they have authentic German Nutcrackers, so none of the junkie ones made in China. (no offense if that is what you prefer)

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh if I had the money to spend. . . what a fun shopping spree I could go on. I still have never been to Scrooge and Marley here in Lehi, I have been wanting to go, but haven't. Maybe someday I will be rich and not have to watch my spending, maybe!!

kate said...

Kim, you have to go to scrooge and marleys on a day off. I bet you would love it!!! tonight has been upsetting, so I am excited to see you tomorrow and hear your input on what has made me irked. see ya in the morn. i've missed our chat sessions.

Kristin said...

I feel like I've taken a virtual Christmas tour through Utah. I loved it. I used to love Hip and Humble...about 7 years ago before I moved to Spokane...now not so much. I'm with you...I prefer Artichokes and Co.

OH Modern Display! It just isn't the holiday season until you go to Modern Display.

Sundance Suckers...I'm officially homesick.

Have fun and keep us posted on your holiday forays.

Here is Spokane Mervyn's has been gone for a few years and all our Linens n' Things just announced that they're going out of business too. CRAZY. What's Harolds?

kate said...

Harold's was the best. They were an upscale clothing retailer, with their own line. They had the greatest collection of skirts. It was classic styling. Very feminine. They also sold kenneth cole handbags and shoes. So I think their biggest competitor in Utah was Nordstrom. I wish you could see their website but all that is left is their going out of business page! It is so crazy with all the bankruptcy's. But hopefully fresh new companies will start up. I'm all for starting a new clothing retailer.