Friday, October 17, 2008

memory of a modern day jane austen scene

Of course being in a new place, I have to put my touch into it.....I am a bit of a mid -century/post modern lover of architecture and design ,with a twist of shabby chic thrown-in, for understated comfort.

So I visited Rachel Ashwell's web site http://www.shabbychic.com/. She gave a beautiful homage to her mum. She lived near Hampstead Heath, which is a beautiful area outside London, that you can take a bus ride to visit it. One of the places you can visit, that is, (of course), set in true English landscape is the Kenwood House. The gardens are beautiful. English Landscape Architecture at its finest. So the thought of Hampstead Heath sent me back in memory.

If you remember the scene in Knottinghill, the movie, where Julia Roberts is set in Victorian costume. Well, the big white estate in the background is Kenwood House. I remember seeing Gainsborough paintings there, how refined and gentile they looked.

I was supposed to go to a big classical concert there, when we lived in London. It was Tchaikovsky's 1876 overture, with the big cannon's at the end and they were to have fireworks as well. Sadly, I missed it. It was a big rainstorm and I didn't feel like going all the way out to Hampstead.

However, I was at Queen's Club watching a great match, though rain delayed. So, instead of the concert, I stayed at the tennis match. I was so torn. There was major consolation though, when at the young, impressionable and sweet age of 18, I got to sit next to an oh -so- very, dashingly- handsome, single, young 30ish in age man. When it started to sprinkle, he kindly offered to share his big english umbrella with me. Such an Englishman. ...with that accent, it gets you everytime.

That was long before Hugh Grant was ever known. This gentleman was more Cary Grant than Hugh Grant anyway. What a nice, romanticized memory. It was a modern day Jane Austen scene, if not for just a few hours.

1 comment:

The Pixton Family said...

Wow, I didn't know you were blogging. I'm excited to keep in touch!