Monday, October 27, 2008

a toast to purity of acting

So, I am up after 4 hours. Interesting concept that has worked before. I hurry and go to sleep, as soon as I am really exhausted. Then I set my alarm quite early and somehow my body, seems to wake up extra early. Luckily, for the most part I am alert and feel good. Now I get the priviledge of writing a theatrical paper.

Fortunately, for my want of good dreaming, I chose not to go see "NOSFERATU" about vampires. Instead, I went with my cute neighbor to Hale Theater haletheater.org and we saw AIDA. It was the musical, not the opera. It has been too long since I have been to a live theatrical performance. And, these type of performances, are what true acting is about. It pulls you into the scene and makes you part of the setting.

6BAIDA.jpgThe way the theater is set up, in a round circle, gives the actors a 360 degree stage. It gave me a slight kinked neck. But, it also is such a small venue, that you have such an intimate relationship to the whole production. It was a fun production. Now I will have to see it again, in a bigger playhouse someday. Tim Rice and Elton John writing a muscial together. I knew it would have to be something quirky with those two and it was just that. I was thinking it had to be similar in style to Jesus Christ Superstar. And, yep that is what it reminded me of...very contemporary and colorful. However, if you had to die, with your lover, I do think being buried alive together in a tomb, in Ancient Egypt, is a bit harsh. But, then again, they could have been alone. Suffication, almost as bad as alone at sea, surrounded by sharks. No that's much worse, the sharks. EEEK!

I have been to so many great performances. There was performances at the Royal Shakespeare Theater in Stratford upon Avon, where we saw Much Ado about nothing. It was an amazing performance, where in one brilliant impromptu, the actor playing Claudio sneezed. Then all of a sudden someone in the audience sneezed, so the actor instead of ignoring the sneeze from the audience, pulled the noise into the scene. His comment was "it's quite catching, isn't it". That, of course made us, the audience, all apart of the play. Everyone loved it and all were laughing in that surreal moment.

I saw Ian mcKellan, as King Lear in London, before he was known for not much more than the Scarlet Pimpernell in the U.S.. I got to see Midsummer's night dream, surrounded by the animals of the London Zoo. An outdoor theater is an extra enhancing experience. And professional acting companies are incomparable, as well as, extrordinary.

So now with all these thoughts, I get to complete my paper. Break a leg, right!

No comments: